[Opendnssec-develop] Missing TTLs in zone files

Roy Arends roy at nominet.org.uk
Mon Oct 19 13:12:22 UTC 2009

Rickard Bondesson <rickard.bondesson at iis.se> wrote on 10/19/2009 03:02:09
PM:

> It looks like we have this solution if I read you all correctly:
>
> In absence of an explicit TTL and a $TTL directive, the SOA Minimum
> from the policy (Zone/SOA/TTL) is used. If SOA Minimum is not
> defined in the policy, then use 3600 seconds (but it should be
> defined in the policy since that element is not optional in the KASP).
>
> Does everyone agree?

No I don't. It seems it is _implemented_ this way, grew organically the
way it is, and now we're defending the 'choice' for these defaults.

I suggest: In absence of an explicit TTL and a $TTL directive, the SOA
Minimum from the policy is used (Zone/SOA/TTL).
If the SOA Minimum is not defined in the policy, then use the zone's SOA
Minumum field value.

Furthermore, make the policy statement (Zone/SOA/TTL) optional.

Roy