[Opendnssec-develop] Missing TTLs in zone files

Roy Arends roy at nominet.org.uk
Mon Oct 19 10:51:43 UTC 2009

Stephen Morris wrote on 10/19/2009 12:44:47 PM:

> Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk wrote on 19/10/2009 11:34:13:
>
> > > Hi Ray,
> > >
> > > Where do modern implementations get their 'default TTL' value from
> > > if the per record TTL and TTL directives are omitted?
> >
> > Damned good question.  RFC 2308 appears to be silent on that
> issue, except to say:
> >
> > "Where a server does not require RRs to include the TTL value
> explicitly, it
> > should provide a mechanism, ** not being the value of the MINIMUM
> field of the
> > SOA record **, from which the missing TTL values are obtained."
> (my emphasis).
> >
> > Ray
>
> Two options:
>
> 1) Add an entry in the policy configuration file to specify a
> default TTL. (This fits in with the idea of "providing a mechanism
> from which the missing TTL values are obtained".)
>
> 2) Flag it as an error.  If a user is telling OpenDNSSEC to sign a
> zone and hasn't specified a TTL, and OpenDNSSEC doesn't allow a
> default TTL to be specified, how can the user expect to get anything
> other than a random value?
>
> Although my gut instinct is to go for (2), I think (1) might be more
> acceptable, especially in the case of thousands of zones all being
> signed using the same policy.

How about

3) In absence of an explicit TTL and a $TTL directive, the SOA Minimum
value is used. That is what all modern implementations use. I think the
default behavior of BIND (i.e. named, and several of its tools), is to
still use the "SOA Minimum Field", issue a notice, and move on. For
instance named-compilezone compiles the following zone:

@ IN SOA a a 111 2222 3333 4444 5555
  NS a
a A 192.0.1.123

issues the following information:

/usr/sbin/named-compilezone -o example.zone example example.file
  example.file:1: no TTL specified; using SOA MINTTL instead
  zone example/IN: loaded serial 111
  dump zone to example.zone...done
  OK

which results in the following zone:

example. 5555 IN SOA a.example. a.example. 111 2222 3333 4444 5555
example. 5555 IN NS     a.example.
a.example. 5555 IN A 192.0.1.123

This way lies in the path of least surprise.

Kind regards,

Roy