[Opendnssec-develop] Deactivating old KSK

Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk
Tue Nov 3 10:22:13 UTC 2009

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morris-dnsop-dnssec-key-timing-01#section-4.3

> > )
>
> if we do anything semi-automatic, it should be double KSK - i.e. when
> the new KSK is published, we have to wait for the operator to ack
> before removing the old KSK. double DS requires the operator to upload
> the DS of a not yet publish KSK to the parent, which might be a bit
> difficult for most operators to understand.
>
> so, I hope we do double KSK with manual confirm before removing the
> old KSK.
>
>    jakob

The draft actually suggests the "double RRset", which minimises the key
rollover time. In this method the new KSK is added to the zone and the
associated DS record submitted to the parent.  After a suitable interval,
the old DS record and KSK can be removed. However, that does separate the
addition of the new DS record to the parent and the removal of the old
one.  The double KSK, although taking longer, requires only one
communication with the parent when changing the DS record.  What do people
think - do the advantages of a single change to the parent zone outweigh
the disadvantages of a longer rollover?

I agree about the manual confirm bit.  The earlier -00 version of the
draft included an algorithm for doing a KSK rollover. (It was removed from
the -01 version because it made the document too long and took the focus
away from the timing issues).  This algorithm noted that you can't assume
that the DS record will appear in the parent, a check needs to be made for
it.

It does strike me that we need to get this sorted out fast though (i.e.
before 1.0).  In particular, the documentation should describe the steps
involved in doing a KSK rollover.

Stephen