[Opendnssec-develop] OpenDNSSEC Requirements Updated

Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk
Wed May 13 16:42:44 UTC 2009

Jelte Jansen <jelte at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote on 05/05/2009 17:10:34:

> Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk wrote:
> > As a prelude for writing the test plan, I have updated the
requirements
> > for OpenDNSSEC - see
> > http://www.opendnssec.se/wiki/ProjectPlan/Requirements
> >
> > I have incorporated the original requirements, as well as requirements

> > from Nominet and .SE.
> >
> > Comments?
> >

> just a few at a quick glance;

> I'm seeing a few things that it currently does not do (signatures on
first
> input, but i think i can add that without much trouble), or probably
can't
> handle in any decent timerange (sorting might take a while for
> millions of records)

This is a first draft of the formal requirements, so there might be things
that are impractical or not needed, in which case they should be removed.

> RSA support is mentioned, but not RSAwithSHA1 and/or RSAwithMD5 (not
> that I know
> of anyone actually using that, but it might be good to at least make the
> distinction, and we will know where to put SHA2 if that draft ever
reaches
> publication)

I'm replying to this email a bit late (sorry!), so I'm not certain what
version you refer to.  However, the current version does state (2.3.1.3.d)
that RSA/SHA-1 MUST be supported and that RSA/SHA-256 SHOULD be supported
if introduced as an RFC.  Do we need to bother with RSA/MD5?

> I don't know in which category it would fall, but the SOA SERIAL that is
used
> could be very important for some people, I've heard of at least one
instance
> where they have the requirement that it is not changed by the
> signer. This will
> have very serious consequences on when and how to do resigning
operations (one
> would have to 'sneak' them into normal updates, which of course haveto
happen
> regularly then, but i guess this is more appropriate for the second
> version; so
> it could actually be an explicit non-requirement.

We could add a requirement to "2.3.2 Signing Process" stating that the
user should have the choice of leaving the SOA serial number unchanged, or
having the system set it to Unix time format (number of seconds since
1-Jan-1970).  But:

a) are there any other serial number formats that should be considered?
b) is it worth worrying about leap-seconds (where, theoretically, the time
could go back by a second)?
c) is the year 2038 problem too far away to worry about now? (Remember
what they said about the Y2K problem back in the 1960s.)

Stephen