[Opendnssec-develop] where to install scripts

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Tue May 5 09:41:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

> this is stuff like Engine.py, i.e. python components for the signer
> engine. after some more though we'll stick to PREFIX/lib/opendnssec/
> signer for now unless someone has a really good reason not to.

Isn't it better to use the Python habits for Python code?

Python has directories PREFIX/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ for that
purpose.  It contains a README that specifies it is intended for
third-party add-ons:

> This directory exists so that 3rd party packages can be installed
> here.  Read the source for site.py for more details.

Running `pydoc site` shows that these 3rd party add-ons will be included
at startup.  It also warns that it adds a PREFIX=/usr/local/ only for
Debian.

Cheers,
 -Rick