[Opendnssec-develop] hsm-toolkit update, and some open questions

Jelte Jansen jelte at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Mar 30 12:00:55 UTC 2009

roy at nominet.org.uk wrote:
> [1] Please discuss how we can circumvent this, as it is pretty annoying,
> and remains probably the same for a very long time for a user. We could do
> this via an environment setting, via a configuration file,  both (or yet
> something else).

did we have a token/module mapping somewhere yet? we could take one from
there ('Warning: no token specified. Using first token in
configuration'). Or something like that.

> [2] Hard configured defaults will hurt eventually. This could also set this
> via a configuration file, or come to think of it, no default at all. Please
> discuss this as well.

Heh, this kind of contradicts your previous statement. I like *sane*
defaults (whether from a configuration or hard-coded, or both, in that
order). But it may depend on what other uses you see for hsm-toolkit.

> [3] Feature request idea: do we need to be able to generate keys in bulk?
> Say with an option for -G to generate X keypairs ? Since we don't need to
> specify anything _per_key_ this seems feasible. This seems to fit the use
> case for a large amount of zones.

I don't see enough reasons to put a lot of work in that. OTOH, it
doesn't look like a lot of work either. One advantage if you even want
to use such a feature is that it could remember the PIN :)

> [4] I understand from the world of cryptographers to avoid "3" as public
> exponent, as there might be implementations that are susceptible to
> Bleichenbacher's RSA signature forgery scheme due to sloppy padding. (see
> http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg14307.html ). It seems that
> 17 and 65537 are commonly used as a public exponent. I chose 65537, but
> that was arbitrary. We could also use yet another, very obscure but fixed
> exponent, solely to be able to identify which zones use OpenDNSSEC by the
> public exponent in the DNSKEY.

I usually default to F4 (65537). I don't think identification of usage
is a compelling argument to choose another exponent. But you may come up
with more convincing reasons :) (otherwise my vote would be to use F4).

Jelte