[Opendnssec-develop] Zone moving between operators

Antoin Verschuren Antoin.Verschuren at sidn.nl
Fri Mar 27 18:01:24 UTC 2009

OK,

I agree that the number of keys used is not something we can control.
I just want to make sure that the consequences of using a single key for multiple zones are understood, and that this behavior is not the "default" or "promoted".

I agree with Roy that we can not force a policy on the use of keys, but we can have an SLA on the registry system.
The part I'm concerned about most is not the emergency key rollovers, but the regular key rollovers.

A dns-operator that has 100.000+ zones signed with a single key will have an operational issue when doing a rollover.
A wild guess from me is that the complete process of propagating a key change to the parent will take about 0,1 seconds per delegation.
That is including EPP messaging and verification, validation of the key at the child, database processing and changing the parent zone.
Changing 100.000+ zones when the key needs a rollover will then take more than 2,7 hours of processing.
We cannot justify queuing other regular requests for such a long time, even more because it exceeds the time we generate new zonefiles.

I like Jelte's idea of defining some BCP for this, but that remains only a recommendation.
My real question is if we need to safeguard such recommendation in the design of OPENDNSSEC, or that we leave it completely to the user without warnings, at the risk the user blaims the software not working properly.

Antoin Verschuren

Technical Policy Advisor
SIDN
Utrechtseweg 310