[Opendnssec-develop] hsm-toolkit questions

John Dickinson jad at jadickinson.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 15:03:38 UTC 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, at 14:39, Jakob Schlyter wrote:

> On 11 mar 2009, at 15.34, John Dickinson wrote:
>
>> Good idea. Not having to create and rename is nice. Is there a
>> library on several platforms to calculate this or do I have to read
>> RFC4122?
>
> yes, example code on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_Unique_Identifier
> . there are at least one good BSD-license UUID generator (http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/
> ).
>
> 	jakob

Do we care which algorithm/version is used to generate the uuid? If it
is time then it could leak some information about key generation time
and mac address of the machine used. Not that this uuid will ever be
made public. With at least one lib we can force a fully random uuid.

John
---
John Dickinson
http://www.jadickinson.co.uk