[Opendnssec-develop] KSK vs ZSK

Jakob Schlyter jakob at kirei.se
Fri Mar 6 06:51:41 UTC 2009

On 6 mar 2009, at 07.00, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> I am not a very experienced XML designer but it occurs to me that
> you would like to design the XML in such a way that most of the
> checking can be done through validating of the schema. I never quite
> understood when to shoot for an attribute or an element but my
> laymen understanding is that when a property is not just "free form"
> and you want to control the properties  that are submitted through
> your XML based protocol or configuration, an attribute makes a bit
> more sense e.g.:
>   <!ATTLIST sign type (keys|denial|data) "data">

not quite - look at kasp.rnc for a good example:

	element serial { "counter" | "unixtime" | "datecounter" }?

which is a RelaxNG compact definition of a <serial> element that can
contain specific test. in the old days of DTD your clain was more true
though.

element vs attribute is still an interesting discussion, but far more
complex than data type.

	jakob