[Opendnssec-develop] KSK vs ZSK

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Thu Mar 5 13:35:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

Nice one.

The path down ( DS / KSK / ZSK / RR ) is always traversed in the same
direction, so if you use both KSK and ZSK in a zone, without a need to
step back or sideways from ZSK to a(nother) ZSK or KSK.

> a KSK is a key that signs all DNSKEY RRset. we all agree on that.
> but does a ZSK sign all RRSETs or all non-DNSKEY RRsets?

I cannot think of situations where ZSK-signed DNSKEYs pose a problem; and
I cannot think of situations where ZSK-signed DNSKEYs are of any use.

No signing DNSKEYs with the ZSK would save wire bits, and that weak
reason is all I can think of.

> if so, a key
> can be both a KSK and a ZSK.

Haha!  The idea of the distinction in names is to show their different
functions.  If there's no difference you shouldn't use those names!

-Rick