[Opendnssec-develop] KSK Rollovers

Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk
Thu Jul 2 11:39:58 UTC 2009

Have we implemented KSK rollovers yet?

For each zone, I imagine the process to be:

1. KASP calculates when the current KSK should be rolled.  If within some
interval (the "KSK Warning interval", a parameter of the policy), it
issues a warning that the key will be rolled at the calculated time. (This
handles requirement 2.4.3.6 for warning about key rollovers.)

2. When KASP is run at or after the calculated time, it will (a) introduce
a new KSK into the zone, (b) identify a KSK (not the one just introduced)
to be used for signing.  It will also output a message stating that the DS
record for the new key should be installed in the parent zone.

3. The signer, when run, will also generate files containing the DS
records for all KSKs and place them into a separate directory.  The file
names will be based on zone name and include the identification that KASP
has included in the message output in the previous step.

4. It is then up to the operator what they do.  They can either (a) just
pass the identified DS file to the parent zone and ask it to be included
or (b) pass all KSK files to the parent zone, requesting that all current
DS records be removed and the DS records in the files be added.

5. At some time after a KSK rollover, the old KSK is removed from the zone
(i.e. when KASP is next run, the KSK will not be in the list of keys
passed to the signer).  KASP will output a message to the log file stating
that the identified key can be removed.  It is then up to the operator
what they do - they can either (a) request the parent zone to remove the
DS record, or (b) wait until the next KSK rollover when, if they follow
the logic of step 4, option b, it will be automatically removed.

The questions I have are:

a) Does KASP warn about a rollover?
b) Does KASP notify the user when a KSK rollover is happening? And does it
identify the DS record(s) that should be added to the parent zone?
c) Does the signer create the DS record in a way that it can be easily
found?
d) Does KASP notify the user when a DS record should be removed from the
parent zone? And how does it identify the key to be removed?

In the longer term, do we also want to add the ability for OpenDNSSEC to
check whether a DS record of a KSK is in the parent zone before we
actually start signing the zone with the new key (as suggest in the KSK
rollover algorithm in the key timing draft?)  At present, I believe the
assumption is that the DS record will appear in the parent zone within
some (configurable) interval of it be available to the operator.

Stephen