[Opendnssec-develop] ksmutil

Rickard Bondesson rickard.bondesson at iis.se
Wed Jul 1 13:06:38 UTC 2009

> Some general observations:
>
> a) Would "ksm" be better than "ksmutil" (shorter to type)?

+1

But it might collide with other program names? Perhaps we should use a prefix for all of our binaries / scripts?

E.g:
 - odd-ksm
 - opendnssec-ksm
 - od-ksm

> b) What about an "interactive" mode, allowing a sequence of
> ksm(util) commands to be entered (and state to be carried
> across between commands)?

Something for the future.

> c) Regarding "-f config_dir", is there a case for a search path:
>
> i) if "-f config_dir" is specified on the command line, use that.
> ii) Otherwise translate the environment variable
> "OPENDNSSEC_CONFIGDIR" (or something) and use that
> iii) Else look in a default location?

+1

> d) The form of the command is:

> ... where the verb is a single token.  In the examples above,
> the command for rolling a zone is "rollzone <zone>" and the
> command for rolling a policy is "rollpolicy <policy>".  Do we
> want a more sophisticated parser that can take multiple words
> to determine the action, e.g. "roll zone <zone>" and "roll
> policy <policy>"?
> e) Should we allow the parser to recognise unambiguous
> abbreviations (e.g., "rollz" and "rollp" for the single token
> case, perhaps "r z" and "r p" for the multi-word case)?

Keep it simple. I think we only should allow one format for each command.

> ... and one specific observation:
>
> a) If we have "addzone" and "delzone", we should also have
> "listzone".

+1

> Agreed, although I would modify this to:
>
> "backup done [date]"
>
> ... where the default is the date/time at which the command
> is issued.  This just covers the case where a backup is done
> but the ksm command is not issued until some time later.  It
> prevents keys created since the backup up being made
> available prematurely.

+1

> We should also have
>
> "backup list"
>
> ... to list the date of last backup (dates of last backups?)

+1

> This raises a question as to where the master copy of the
> policy should be.  At the moment, the XML file is read into
> the database and all access to the policy is via the
> database.  Why should we regard the XML as the master copy -
> why not the contents of the database?

The auditor wants a copy of the master copy. Is it wise to get the copy from the database?

> Another guideline I've always found useful: if you have "add
> <something>" and "delete <something>" commands, you are
> usually likely to want "list <something>" and "modify
> <something>" as well.

+1