[Opendnssec-develop] Newsletter #1

Rickard Bondesson Rickard.Bondesson at iis.se
Wed Jan 28 09:56:59 UTC 2009

Hi

The idea is that I will send a newsletter every second week to the OpenDNSSEC project group. The aim with the newsletter is to summarize the work that has been done so far and what are next on the agenda.

* The project

The project wiki, www.opendnssec.se, has been updated with new information and is organized in a better way.

The wiki software on our server has been upgraded to a newer version.

A project plan has been written and published on the wiki.

The overall milestones are published on the wiki with their individual subtasks. The work needs to be divided into smaller pieces. E.g. defining what needs to be done in the different components.

* Meetings

2009-01-14
Rickard Bondesson, from .SE, was appointed as the project manager. A major topic was our own view of the project. What is OpenDNSSEC? What is it going to do? How should it look like? The meeting was limited to 90 minutes and because of this had we no time to draw any definite conclusions. The reason to this confusion was the lack of well defined information on the project. Roy and Jakob were assigned the task to define the system architecture further more.

Read the meeting minutes at:
http://www.opendnssec.se/wiki/Meetings/Minutes/2009-01-14

2009-02-09
The next meeting is in Amsterdam. Hosted by NLNetLabs at Science Park 400 (Matrix II building), Room 1B. A call for meeting topics is available on the mailing list. The draft of the agenda will be published shortly.

* Use cases

We are currently working on the different possible use cases. These will be discussed and further analysed at the Amsterdam meeting.

* Data flow diagram

Rick has created a data flow diagram based on our discussions and the current available system architecture. This work needs to be discussed and agreed upon by the project group.

* Signer Engine

The individual components of the Signer Engine are available in the code repository. They are working and can produce DNSSEC records as expected. There still needs something that can tie these components together.

* SoftHSM

Working code is available in the repository. The work is going as planned. The most visible change is that a compilation of the source code will result in two libraries. One for regular use and one for debugging. The debugging version gives notifications to the system log of the different events, which should help any problem solving. Currently working on detecting any memory leeks. More detailed time plan is available on the wiki.

* KASP and KSM

KSM (Key and Signature Manager) is a program to implement KASP (Key and Signature Policy).  It comprises a database and command-line interface (CLI). KSM implements the algorithm outlined in the Internet draft that John Dickinson, Johan Ihren and Stephen Morris are writing.  This is still very much work in progress, and Stephen is currently updating it with the results of a recent discussion. More information needs to be published on the wiki.

The latest version of the software can be found at http://download.nominet.org.uk/KASP/ksm_20090119.tar.gz

// Rickard Bondesson