[Opendnssec-develop] OpenDNSSEC Project Management

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Jan 14 12:51:48 UTC 2009

Thanks this  first stab. But it does not answer an important question
which I think is core to the debate we are having: How is this
software supposed to integrate in existing environments?

I think I've seen two different answers to that question:
- As a component of the backend system generating zone files that can
be read by a nameserver
- As a component that acts as a "bump in the wire"
- As a component that acts as a hidden master server
- Others....

I think that you could take the first approach as a proof of concept
to develop policies but I think another approach would need to be
taken for a seriously scalable system.

--Olaf

On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk wrote:

> A major obstacle to the widespread adoption of DNSSEC is the
> complexity of
> implementing it.  There is no package that one can install on a
> system,
> click the "start" button, and have DNSSEC running.  Instead, there
> are a
> variety of tools, none of which on their own is a complete
> solution.  To
> actually run a DNSSEC-enabled authoritative server requires writing
> custom
> scripts to link them together.  Even then, aspects of DNSSEC
> management
> such as key management and use of hardware assistance (such as HSMs)
> have
> not been adequately addressed.
>
> The aim of the OpenDNSSEC project is to produce software that will
> provide
> this comprehensive package.  Installed on a system it will, with a
> minimum
> amount of operator input:
>
> * Handle the signing of DNS records, including the regular re-signing
> needed during normal operations.
> * Handle the generation and management of keys, including key
> rollover.
> * Seamlessly integrate with external cryptographic hardware such as
> HSMs.
>
> The OpenDNSSEC software will be applicable to a wide variety of DNS
> configurations, including (but not limited to):
>
> * Organisations (such as TLDs) that manage few zones, each with a
> large
> number of records.
> * Organisations (such as ISPs) that manage a large number of zones,
> each
> with few records.
> * Organisations (such as companies managing their own zones) that
> have a
> single zone with relatively few records.

                                        Science Park 140,

NB: The street at which our offices are located has been
renamed to the above.