[Opendnssec-develop] Role of the Auditor

Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk Stephen.Morris at nominet.org.uk
Fri Aug 28 12:46:11 UTC 2009

Following up from our discussion about the auditor yesterday, this is a
description of what I think it should be doing:

a. The auditor is an quality check in the OpenDNSSEC signing process to
ensure that incorrect or out of date signed data is not inadvertently
loaded into production nameservers.  It is run by the signer engine once
the zone file has been signed and checks the signed file against the
unsigned file (and against the policy) to ensure that the signer has done
its work correctly.   If the auditor does not detect a problem, the signed
zone file can be loaded.  To ensure that the process is a proper quality
check, the auditor has been coded by a different programmer to that of the
signer and in a different language.  However, both the signer and the
auditor have a dependency on the OpenSSL library.

The auditor is an optional component of OpenDNSSEC and the configuration
file can specify that it not be run.  If the auditor _is_ configured to
run, the signer writes its output to an auditor directory and the auditor,
on successful completion of the audit, moves it to the "signed" directory.
 If the auditor _is not_ configured to run, the signer writes its output
directly to the "signed" directory.

Notes:
i) The writing of the output file by the signer should be a two-stage
process - write to a temporary file then rename.  Such a scheme ensure
that a valid signed file is not replaced by an incomplete one should the
signer fail.
ii) Can we agree to rename "signer engine" to something like the
"scheduler"?  As it is responsible for initiating the auditor, I think the
name is more accurate and will lead to less confusion.

b. The monitor is a daemon that runs on a system that can see the public
nameservers for the zone and does consistency checks on the data retrieved
from them.  As such, it shares much of the code of the auditor and has
been referred to as the "auditor daemon" (a name I think we should no
longer use). Its primary purpose is to check signature lifetimes to see if
any are approaching their expiration date - if some are, it could indicate
that either the signer is not running or that the distribution of zone
data to the secondaries has been interrupted.  It should also do other
consistency checks (e.g. checking that the KSK has a DS record in the
parent zone), which may include extensive checking of zone data should it
have a copy of the input zone file or list of names in the zone.

Stephen