[Opendnssec-develop] Creating keys

Roy Arends roy at nominet.org.uk
Fri Nov 28 17:31:37 UTC 2008

Stephen Morris wrote on 11/28/2008 05:47:32 PM:

> Olaf Kolkman <olaf at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote on 27/11/2008 16:01:26:
>

> > On Nov 27, 2008, at 4:54 PM, John Dickinson wrote:
> >

> > > So I guess if you have a large zone like co.uk then a couple of
> > > seconds in the 6 odd minutes that it would take to sign from scratch

> > > is nothing. However, if you have 1000's of small zones or you are
> > > dynamically updating every minute then it could make a big
difference.

> > But even then... the key-rollover would take place only once per month

> > or so. So this 2 second pain per zone only happens once or twice per
> > month.
>
> In this approach, are there any problems in ensuring that the keys are
> replicated to a backup HSM before they are used?  Do you need any type
of
> "master" password to export private keys from the HSM?

I guess in a situation where the procedures require that keys need to be
backed up, it is up to the specific HSM implementation if such a scenario
is possible. Different HSMs use different methods. For instance, to be
fully FIPS 140-2 level 3 compliant, the HSM needs to be in complete "do
not export" state, which guarantees that keys stored on an HSM can't be
exported. Another requirement is that "do not export" is irreversible.

What I think is fairly common is that a keystore (containing the actual
private DNSKEY's) is an encrypted filesystem (the individual files are
encrypted, not the directory structure) on a regular disk, while the
Keystore Decryption Key (or Master Key, or SuperKey or RootToken, all
depending on which vendor you talk to) resides physically in the HSM. This
Decryption key can actually be synchronised between the various HSMs (of
the same brand, as there is currently no standard defined way). There are
different methods to do this. Once the decrytion key is equal on all HSMs,
keystores can be read by all involved HSMs, while the same encrypted
keystores (filesystems) can be backed-up, replicated, etc.

However, since the methods on key-retrieval, backup, recovery is so
incredibly vendor specific, I think that is out of scope. We should just
allow the system to be able to pre-generate keys, in order to allow
redundant keystores.

Hope this helps,

Roy Arends
Sr. Researcher