[Opendnssec-develop] A successful Git branching model

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Tue Dec 10 14:04:20 UTC 2013

On Dec 10, 2013, at 12:54 , Sara Dickinson wrote:

> So all my reading to date indicates that this works really nicely if you have a single product version that you support. However I haven't found anything that describes how you easily use this if you have multiple production versions that you need to maintain (like we do). I can find some descriptions of how to do this e.g.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18220663/advice-on-multiple-release-lines-and-git-flow-for-git-non-gurus
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16386323/following-git-flow-how-should-you-handle-a-hotfix-of-an-earlier-release
>
> but this doesn't really look like what Git Flow was designed for. Jerry - do you have a specific workflow to present that does support maintenance of multiple production versions - is that what you will present tomorrow?

It may be true that Git Flow was not designed with this in mind but it can work. Git Flows basic idea is that you work in branches that is typically named after the issue. These branches does not necessary need to be forked from develop so you could have long lived release branches (ex release/1.3) that you fork from and merge to then release from.

BUT! Having said that there are different layers of work flows I want to discuss tomorrow that separates these type of issues from the development and making them a non-issue really. Unfortunately, since I just got back today from my holiday, I'm not able to share these things in details until we meet tomorrow.

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/